The City of Farrell is currently seeking applicants to fill the position of Water Pollution Control Plant Operator. This full time position will be tasked with laboratory testing and analysis, operation and maintenance of equipment used in the collection, treatment process, and disposal of wastewater at the plant and pump stations. Applicants are required to have a high school diploma, a valid motor vehicle operator’s license, certification by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection as a licensed Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator and minimum experience of one year with water pollution control operations. Must be able to successfully pass a background check and drug screen.
Duties include laboratory testing and analysis as well as the operation and maintenance of equipment used in the collection, treatment process, and disposal of wastewater at the treatment plant and pump stations.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING, and EXPERIENCE
High School diploma or equivalent, a valid motor vehicle operator’s license, certification by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection as a licensed Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator and minimum experience of one year with water pollution control operations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & DESIRED KNOWELEDGE
- Perform all aspects of sampling, monitoring and testing required to maintain compliance with Federal State and Local regulations governing the wastewater treatment process, and storm water and sludge management
- Assist with the installation and inspection of new sewer lines and services.
- Perform the installation, maintenance and repair of the physical plant and pump stations and all of their components.
- During the Chief Operator’s absence, act as the Department’s representative to the public.
- Assist in the performance of regular and unscheduled maintenance and repairs on all plant equipment and machinery.
- On call to respond to emergencies and breakdowns at the plant and pump stations.
- Conduct the necessary weekend checks of the treatment plant on a rotating basis.
- Perform all work in conformance to Occupational Safety and Health Act regulations.
- Maintain open communications with the Chief Operator regarding the treatment process and pump stations operation and malfunctions
- Make recommendations for repairs and improvements to these systems
- Proficient mathematical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required;
- Must be able to interact and communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization;
- Other duties as assigned.
This work is performed indoors in an office setting as well as outdoors in variable temperatures. Must have the ability to descend and climb a maximum of 30 rungs to access system pump stations. Have the ability to lift 50 pounds. Have adequate respiratory function to utilize a Self Contained Breathing Apparatus. Have the ability to detect and differentiate colors.
- Be able to perform and document various tests required by State and Federal agencies for the operation of a wastewater treatment plant.
- Perform daily checks of the wastewater treatment process and periodic checks of pump stations.
- Have a working knowledge of the operation, methods and procedures of a wastewater treatment plant.
- Have a working knowledge of the machinery used for wastewater treatment and pumping stations.
- Have a thorough knowledge of mechanical equipment and the ability to diagnose and correct equipment malfunction.
- Have a working knowledge of basic machinery preventive maintenance and repair.
- Have a basic knowledge of State and Federal rules governing wastewater discharges and worker’s safety.
- Have the ability to work with independence and to make routine decisions on the operation of the plant processes and equipment during the Chief Operator’s absence.
This position includes City benefits.
Qualified applicants must apply at the Pennsylvania CareerLink® Mercer County, 217 West State Street, Sharon, PA or online at www.pacareerlink.state.pa.us. Job Order #. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled. No applications will be accepted at the City Building.