Senior Industrial Wastewater Permitting & Compliance Engineer or Environmental Project Manager (46512)
Langan provides expert land development engineering and environmental consulting services for major developers, renewable energy producers, energy companies, corporations, healthcare systems, colleges/universities, and large infrastructure programs throughout the U.S. and around the world. Our employees collaborate seamlessly among 30+ offices and gain valuable hands-on experience that fosters career growth. Langan culture is entrepreneurial from advancing innovative technical solutions, to participating in robust training and knowledge sharing, to making progressive change within the communities we live and work.
Consistently ranked among the top ten “Best Firms to Work For” and Engineering News-Record’s top 50 firms worldwide, Langan attracts and retains the best talent in the industry. Employees thrive at Langan, a firm that embraces and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion; prioritizes wellbeing, health and safety; encourages volunteerism and philanthropy; offers workplace flexibility, along with carbon neutral office spaces; and empowers individuals to contribute their skills and knowledge to make impactful contributions.
Langan?is seeking an Environmental Permitting and Compliance Engineer, Scientist, or Project Manager with a Industrial Wastewater Focus to join its collaborative team. This individual will serve a key function in managing industrial wastewater permitting and compliance projects as well as supporting multi-media efforts related to wastewater issues; including stormwater, regulated waste management, spill prevention and contingency planning, and EPCRA reporting. In this role, you will have the opportunity to guide and review the work of staff, communicate with clients and their legal teams, and interface with regulators.
This role will be focused on the permitting and regulatory aspects of wastewater; however, a deep understanding of industrial processes, specifically manufacturing facilities, is preferred. This individual will interface with multidisciplinary teams (both internal and external) to solve complex client issues and will be a liaison between the compliance and system design teams to provide a seamless client experience.
- Review industrial processes for specific regulatory applicability, requiring a deep understating of manufacturing operations and other industrial processes;
- Support client non-compliances including interfacing with regulators, citizen’s groups, attorneys, and client representatives at all levels;
- Lead teams in investigating the causes of non-compliances with permit terms/effluent limitations as well as treatment system issues, develop thorough investigation plans and reports, and develop and implement corrective actions;
- Understand and consider multimedia impacts to wastewater issues (e.g. identifying other regulatory applicability such as spill planning, air permitting, or waste implications/exclusions), and engage other subject matter experts as necessary to provide holistic compliance solutions to our clients;
- Perform audits focused on industrial wastewater and stormwater issues, including permitting and reporting, and system components and overall operations;
- Develop operation and maintenance plans and provide site-specific operator training;
- Develop and implement sampling plans and programs for compliance investigations and system studies;
- Closely interface with internal and external wastewater treatment experts and design teams to facilitate system upgrades, troubleshooting, treatability studies, bench-scale and pilot studies, and other related engineering tasks;
- Prepare permit applications (new, renewals, and modifications) for industrial wastewater discharges, both direct and indirect discharges;
- Review draft permits, support strategy for compliance with new permit terms or limitations with the client team, and prepare comments to the issuing agency;
- Understand and advise on permit limitation calculations and how site-specific parameters or conditions can influence calculations;
- Provide direct oversight and management of junior staff for specific project assignments, and overall training and mentoring of junior staff on the team;
- Lead and/or assist in the preparation of proposals including development of scope and costs;
- Manage project budgets and assist in invoicing as project or task manager;
- Interact with and build relationships with clients, contractors/subcontractors, and internal practice leaders.? Demonstrate a strong commitment to customer service and responsiveness to client needs;
- Manage and deliver on multiple projects and tasks within specific budgets, schedules, and deadlines;
- Prepare technical documents including reports, plans/programs, permit applications, and other written deliverables;
- Travel to client sites as needed to support project and client needs; and
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Bachelor's?degree in Environmental or?Chemical Engineering?or closely related field. Master’s degree preferred;
- 8+ years of experience working in the environmental compliance field, with a minimum of 5 years focused on wastewater projects, preferably with manufacturing facilities;
- Minimum of 5 years direct consulting experience;
- Industrial wastewater treatment system operation, design and troubleshooting experience a plus;
- Professional certification (PE, CHMM) preferred, operators licensure a plus;
- 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER certification;
- Ability to effectively manage multiple clients and projects;
- Willingness and ability to identify new client opportunities is strongly desired;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong attention to detail with excellent analytical, multitasking, and judgment capabilities;
- Ability to effectively work independently and in a team environment;?and
- Possess reliable transportation for client meetings and job site visits and a valid driver’s license in good standing.
Langan provides a rich array of programs and benefits to help its employees advance their careers and enhance the quality of their lives. Our comprehensive compensation package includes: full-time employment company paid medical, dental, and vision coverage; life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, and paid pregnancy disability leave; 401(k)/Roth with company match; paid time off including parental and military leave; employee referral and professional license bonuses; and educational reimbursement.
Langan offers employee resource groups; flexible work schedules; extensive training; wellness programs; buddy and mentoring programs; and much more!
Langan is an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer committed to building a team that represents and values diverse backgrounds. Langan promotes a positive work environment of inclusion, where we respect each other’s differences and recognize that a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment is a key to our success.