Horizon House is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity).
Certified Peer Support Specialist
Delaware County, PA
Part Time with Benefits
Part Time 20
Job Description/Essential Functions:
Horizon House, Inc. is a nationally recognized provider of services to adults with support needs due to developmental disabilities, behavioral health issues, and substance abuse. Horizon House is Pennsylvania's oldest psychiatric rehabilitation agency. Since 1952, we have been dedicated to helping people with mental illness, drug and alcohol addictions, developmental/intellectual disabilities, and homelessness to stabilize their lives and to help them live as independently as possible in the community. With over 100 locations throughout South and North Eastern Pennsylvania and the state of Delaware, Horizon House provides services to a diverse population focusing on individual strength and choice.
We are currently seeking a dedicated Certified Peer Support Specialist to fill an opening within our Delaware County program located in Chester , PA.
The Certified Peer Support Specialist will provide peer support services, therapeutic interactions designed to promote empowerment, self-determination, understanding, coping skills, and resilience through mentoring and service coordination supports. Assist program participants with mental illnesses and co-occurring disorders to regain control over their own lives and their own recovery process. This position is also responsible for:
*Managing and providing peer support services for an assigned caseload of participants, including assisting with developing employment opportunities for participants.
*Completing and maintaining all documentation on a timely basis, including intake and discharge process, case records, movement and progress reports, operational records and goals as required.
*Assisting Employment Specialist with coordinating employment process for vocational opportunities and system of coverage for the transitional employment program within program staff/clients.
*Developing, reviewing and updating individual service plans, assisting the participants in identifying strengths, needs, barriers, goals, objectives, and interventions. Serves as a mentor to program participants to promote hope and empowerment in their recovery process.
* A person who is self identified as having met the criteria for serious mental illness as defined in the Mental Health Bulletin (OMH-94-04) who utilizes or has utilized mental health and/or co-occurring services and has been trained and certified to help her/his peer identify and achieve specific self-determined goals.
* Must be a certified Peer Specialist certified by a PA State approved entity.
* Demonstrates knowledge of recovery/wellness principles and ability to model and mentor the recovery process and demonstrate effective coping skills.
* A high school diploma or GED or one year of paid or volunteer work; or any combination of experience, education or training that would provide the level of knowledge, skill and ability required.
* Ability to establish supporting trusting relationships with people with mental illness and respect for peoples' rights and personal preferences is essential.
* Good oral and written communication skills.
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
* Possession a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
* Frequent interactions with peers who are at different stages of recovery.
* May be required to assist with crisis intervention in emergency situations including educating and supporting peers in the development and implementation of WRAP and Advanced Directives.
* Light lifting and/or carrying, not to exceed 25 lbs.
* Local travel required.
Horizon House offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefit package including: medical & dental, (9) nine paid holidays, generous paid time off, tuition reimbursement, retirement savings plan, voluntary tax sheltered annuity, transit benefit program, opportunities for advancement and more.
To be considered an applicant, please complete the pre-employment application.
Horizon House is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Veterans/Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Horizon House is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, Horizon House considers qualified applicants for positions without regard to race, color, religious creed, gender identity, marital status, military status, ancestry, national origin, English Limited Proficiency (LEP), age, sex, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ethnicity, source of income, familial status, domestic or sexual violence victim status, LGBTQ, AIDS or HIV status, union membership, veteran status, psychiatric disability, other disability or other legally protected status. Reasonable accommodation is available during the application process upon request without penalty. Horizon House is committed to these principles in our employment practices.